Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Quality Literature

How can we find good books for our kids?   So many times it seems that we either chose the books we remember from our own childhood, or we fall prey to the marketing of today.  Currently there are books being made into movies, which may or may not be a good thing.  I have always loved Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, but I wasn't a big fan of the movie. Hopefully the movie won't discourage parents, teachers and children from reading the book in the future.


I'm also not a big fan of "Junior Novelization" of books based on movies and tv shows.   Just today I found a copy of a Phineas and Ferb early chapter book that my son had borrowed from the library?  Really?  Can't we offer our children any better than that? 

So I put on my detective glasses and went to look for quality literature that  boy of seven who is an advanced reader might enjoy, keeping away from books that might be on his reading level, but quite ahead of his maturity level.



















It is by no means a comprehensive list, but a start anyway.

No comments: