Thursday, June 24, 2010

Book Review

I've been hearing about Bringing the Boy Home  for a couple of months now from my 3rd grade daughter who kept talking about this wonderful book her teacher was reading aloud to the class.  After finishing it, she convinced her older sister to read it as well.   Older sister whizzed through it, seemingly without putting it down, and then they started in on me.  "You HAVE to read it mom!  It is SO good!"

Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down either!  It is the story of two boys who are part of an Amazon tribe, deep within the jungle.  In order to prove themselves as men, they must pass a test of endurance, bravery and skill.  The twist is that one boy was abandoned by his parents at age 6 and spent the last 7 years in Florida with his adopted mother.  Can a boy who is part of modern American culture prove himself in the Amazon?

The story plays with the themes of family, loyalty, bravery, trust.  Had I read the book first I would have said that the book is for boys, but it resonated with my girls as well.  It has adventure, excitement, emotion and drama, and best of all, it takes the reader outside of any world or culture they have ever known while showing that many themes are not owned by any one culture.  I would highly recommend this book for any reader ages 8 to 12.

No comments: