Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mainstream

I recently conducted a very unscientific study on what books for children are available for sale in regular places that people shop: two Walmarts, two Targets and a book store in a small town mall.  We were traveling in the midwest and stopped in places that would be considered truly rural as well as a couple that are within the city limits of Chicago.  In other words, a pretty good cross section of the United States.

I was reasonably satisfied when I looked for a baby gift as I found a limited selection of board book versions of classic best sellers.  The store stocked such titles as Where the Wild Things Are, The Hungry Caterpillar, Goodnight Moon, Guess How Much I Love You and one book by Sandra Boynton.  Beyond the collectible books however, there were only easy readers and coloring books.  Easy readers have their place in literacy development, but they hardly foster a life-long love of reading, nor are they particularly good as read alouds. 

As for chapter books, I was both disappointed and disturbed.  We found Diary of a Wimpy Kid books at every store, a couple of Beverly Cleary books (which my kids have already) and there was the every present shelf of Vampire books marketed to teens.  My eleven year old daughter commented that it seems like all authors are copying Stephanie Meyers and can no one think for themselves?  I was looking for the newest Newberry award winner, or a Sharon Creech book, or anything really...

The question I have to ask myself is this:  are stores not selling quality children's literature because people weren't buying them, or do people not buy such books (maybe they don't know them without marketing/movie tie-ins?) so stores quit selling them?

Is it a matter of marketing and knowledge of books?  What will happen to reading and the availability of books if the stores real people shop in don't stock books that all children should read?  I suppose most schools give out Scholastic Book Order forms where people can buy books at a better price, and most families have access to libraries, but do they use these services?

How can I get the word out?  There are so many good books out there!!!!

1 comment:

Elisa said...

The problem with Scholastic order forms is that even though quality books are available for order, one has to search for those gems, scratching beneath the surface and pushing aside all the sponsored books (Disney, TV shows, etc).